Sunday, March 28, 2010

My "Sick Day" Blogpost

So, technically I wasn't in class last Wednesday due to my awesome allergies attacking me as spring is pleasantly arriving to the city of Syracuse; however, between checking up on the "Hourclass" blog and attending Spark for a video installation, I still feel like a learned a lot of little tidbits and stuff.

First of all, an animation project is next. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous about it just because I really truly cannot come up with a cool concept for this project. Its just hard being an art student and being assigned projects where your forced to come up with ideas to fit the instructions and have a deadline. I'm one of those people who will come up with something at a random time. Deadlines intimidate me, but then again I guess thats one of the ways in which college prepares you for the real world. Like you can't just tell clients who are expecting things from you, "oh, sorry, I just didn't come up with anything for you, try back next week". Then again, I guess you could, but that would just be rude. Anyways, I guess my point is that I watched all the videos on the blog and they were mad cool. I just hope I can come up with an idea just as original and as interesting as those. Props to the Animal Collective vid too, I'm a sucker for cool, artsy, music videos.

Also, I watched the SXSW 2010 talk thing and took notes on it because I'm nerdy like that. I even wore my cool new clear framed reading glasses as I watched it too, I guess just to feel more sophisticated as I joted down notes of Douglass Rushkoff's speech. Anyways, I'm going to be honest, a lot of his vocabulary was a little "over-my-head", if you will, at first but I got the hang of his message. I got his whole point and agreed with the fact that society needs to be more upfront about learning about programming instead of just going with the flow and following along steps behind. I totally agreed with his point that we've become a "nation of bloggers" and not the programmers we should and have the access at becoming. His conclusion was a little blunt and kind of scary though. The whole idea that if you're not a programmer then you're a user, and even worse- "the used", kind of freaked me out and got my mind thinking like a hamster on a a wheel. Thats a good thing though. I'm glad I watched it and that Mr. Rushkoff got me to think about things I never really considered. I have a new desire to take more initiation to be one of the programers now, I'll get there in baby steps though, I mean I don't even have an official blog yet, you know.

Lastly, I went to Spark and its actually really cool there. I walked in and was like "oh hey, I'm an art student", I like that feeling. Anyways the whole trip to Spark itself, looking at the artwork, and not only viewing "Acting Out", but also talking to the actual artists, taught me a lot and got me thinking about a lot. Thats all for the next blog post though. So check that out.

That's about all for now. Soooo yah... Oh, btw- I just bought a N64 on amazon for like $35 so I can mess around with that for my final project. I'm pumped. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment