Thursday, March 4, 2010

Brainstorming for ze Final

So, as our final for Time Arts we need to come up with our own project. The whole idea of making up a totally original idea for a project is actually somewhat intimidating though. I just want to come up with something that will interest me so here are some ideas. I’m still trying to brainstorm more though.

The whole concept of being able to warp the sounds of electronic toys and warp the images of electronic gaming systems with cartridges was very interesting to me. I’m really interested in manipulating the visuals on an old N64 game. I looked up the information about how to go about it and found ended up learning about the term ROM hacking. ROM hacking is when a gamer changes a games graphics, levels, game play, and even more. As of now the websites I found on it only seemed to show examples of hackers using it to make game play easier and get to the levels their amateur gaming skills couldn’t reach on the regular. I really want to master warping the visuals of one of those old cartridge games though so the research continues.

Upon looking up how to hack into an N64 game in order to alter its visuals, I found numerous videos on making a portable Nintendo, which allows one to play their favorite N64 games on the go. Golden idea- I think so. I thought that whole concept was really cool, partially because I could get a portable N64 out of it. Anyways, if its possible to find an old console and screen to use for this off of Amazon of one of those sites then I would be really interested in trying this out too.

Lastly, this is totally random and out of left field, I was thinking of doing a project involving participation from homeless people. It sounds really weird but they really do fascinate me. I always wonder how they got to be where they are today, what is their background story, what is an average day like, do they do whatever or do they actually have a schedule, what do they truly value, and just random other things. My friends and I are oddly obsessed with YouTube videos of homeless people and one of my best friends always brings smiles to their faces by offering them cash and talking to them a little. So I don’t really know where that would go but I just know that homeless people interest me.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed this post because I was looking in the wrong place.

    You should show me some of the tutorials for the portable N64. I don't really understand how it works. Are we talking about hacking a gameboy to play N64 games? Are we inventing something new?

    It sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how technically advanced it is and might require more than we can do in an intro level course.

    Still you could set out to do the project knowing that it is too advanced and make your project the process of learning as much as you can. You might not get enough knowledge to finish the piece, but you might get enough to go part way.

    We can circuit bend cartridge games. I've never tried this and I think it is a long trial and error process (because you cannot test your bends right away, you make a bend, put the cartridge back together, test it out, probably nothing's happened, take the cartridge apart and trying again).

    I think that if we can get a second NES system we could wire the two together in a way that would speed up the process.

    ReplyDelete