Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fun with Toys

So, class began with news that we have nothing due next week and we were going to play with toys for a majority class… jackpot? Yes! So anyways, as we played with toys, and by play I mean ripping them open, we got to learn how to manipulate the sounds the toys made by clamping alligator clips to metal areas inside the toy. My car sounds, songs, and up beat beeping noises from my toy turned into a deep sorts of thump sounds on all the buttons after clipping two alligator clips to a random loop of wire on its little microchip base part.

After adjusting the sounds of our toys with alligator clips we got to learn how to solder the insides to permanently change the sound. It was really cool to watch. You have to like melt a special piece of wire (I forget what its actually called), wait until there is like a liquid ball to form, then put the liquid ball onto the wire that’s been wrapped around where the alligator clips once were, and then you’re done. It’s just really cool to see how you can manipulate the sounds of an electronic so easily.

Finally I thought it was even cooler to find out that not only the sounds electronic toys made could be manipulated, but also the visuals of video games. By opening up the insides of old Nintendo games you can warp the visuals by messing around with the chip inside of the game cartridge. I thought that sounded pretty sweet. I kind of want to try it for myself now.

No comments:

Post a Comment