Thursday, February 18, 2010

Music Vids, a Nasty Camera, and the Legendary Michel Gondry

I was excited to watch the Bat for Lashes music video in class and very amused by the Avalanche’s video. The Avalanche’s video was like nothing I have ever seen before and it amused me by being so obscene that I felt like it was amazing. I feel like a lot of videos become popular because of the “its so bad its good factor” and the music video we watched with the shoes, after watching the shoes video, was a perfect example of that.

The videos the fast speed camera was able to take were really cool. For some reason I expected the videos to play almost as if they were in fast forward mode, but the result of the video is actually the total opposite. Watching the dog run in a smooth slow motion was almost hypnotizing, especially when playing Godspeed you Black Emperor as we were watching it. I really liked the way the camera worked and I plan on trying to use it at least once this semester.

It was cool to learn about Michel Gondry, he has really cool music videos. The Oui Oui video really amazed me. The success of the Oui Oui video relied on Gondry timing everything perfectly and staging everything perfectly, which he did. I’ve made films for film festivals in high school and realize how complicated making a video like that it when everything depends on the timing and staging of the actor in the video. I honestly can’t get enough of Gondry music videos, or even just his films in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment